Human Factors Engineer
The Human Factors Engineer (HFE) will be a key member of a Human Systems Integration (HSI) team supporting a US Coast Guard shipbuilding program. Tasks will focus on developing HFE/HSI requirements, and conducting a variety of HFE analyses to ensure compliance with customer expectations. Qualified candidates must be a US citizen and must have a DoD security clearance or the ability to obtain one within a year of being hired.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include providing HFE program support to customers and team colleagues. Specific tasks include:
- Writing HFE/HSI requirements.
- Integrating HFE requirements into system design activities at the program level, by reviewing contractor plans, reports, and other products.
- Providing hands-on technical HFE support by performing HFE reviews of designs, prototypes and as-built production systems.
- Performing analyses to ensure that user requirements, sound HFE and safety practices are incorporated into system design.
- Supporting HFE/HSI efforts during business development activities, including proposal generation, creation of marketing materials, and assistance in shaping HFE business strategy.
Bachelor’s degree in HFE, psychology, systems engineering, or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years hands-on experience in applying HFE to the design and evaluation of complex systems, including HFE program development, HSI requirements development, and systematically collecting field data.
- Participation in multidisciplinary technical teams in US Navy, US Coast Guard, or other DoD environments applying such standards as ASTM F1166, MIL-STD-1472, ASTM F1337, and MIL-HDBK-46855 to the design of systems preferred.
- Experience with design tools, such as task analysis and drawing reviews.
- Familiarity/knowledge of control rooms and digital instrumentation and controls.
- Proven computer skills, including expertise in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access, plus tooling experience with such software packages as Axure, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Balsamiq, Magetta, Visio or Visual Basic, iRise or Dojo, and usability testing experience using Morea, programming and prototyping.
- Ability to identify program points of contact, establish working relationships, develop data sharing and collaborative environments, champion complex and cross-organizational initiatives, and provide high-caliber customer support by developing cooperative relationships with program managers, technical staff and other stakeholders.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills which enable you to work with multidisciplinary teams and influence design.
- Experience in the development and coordination of presentations to support HFE/HSI reviews.
- Desire to support the development of new business from opportunity identification, proposal development, to contract acquisition.
- Ability to think “outside the box,” and willingness to do whatever’s necessary to meet customer expectations.
- Commitment to continuous Improvement, collaborative teamwork, and ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- The ability to be a self-starter capable of working with minimal supervision.
About the Company
Humanproof is a Human Systems Integration company designed to turn the tables on traditional consulting and product development. Instead of building things and then thinking of refining them for human use, Humanproof creates a company around the human first, then builds. We are creating an engine for innovation, an idea factory, and a product and process improvement machine. By focusing our talent on human performance, psychology, safety, industrial design, and cognitive processes, we will generate ideas and processes that far exceed anything produced through traditional thinking. The company is dedicated to providing superior quality through continual improvement of products and services, and ensuring customer satisfaction by incorporating knowledge and application of technologies to meet identified needs – anytime-anywhere. We are looking for like-minded people who want to help us achieve our mission and vision by creating a world where everyone has opportunities to achieve their full potential.
Humanproof offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental coverage, 401(k) with company match, and other benefits. Humanproof is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Click here to submit a resume.