Chief Operating Officer
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for leading and managing a comprehensive array of services and programs for a start-up and rapidly growing Human Systems Integration (HSI) engineering organization. The COO will be responsible for building the company’s infrastructure, which includes determining staffing needs, hiring, writing and reviewing proposals and prospective contract bids, coordinating day-to-day administrative and operational matters for a team of highly trained HSI subject matter experts, positioning the company for growth in targeted markets. S/he will play an important on-going role in overseeing basis services, and developing new programs as needed. S/he will be responsible for all activities pertaining to licensure, human rights, personnel, finance, and contracts. The COO will keep the CEO apprised of all program issues and concerns requiring attention.
The COO will monitor staff expansion, making recommendations for the addition of other key positions, such as chief financial officer, director of human resources, information technology specialist, quality improvement, and corporate communications, while also being responsible for program planning, organizing, operating, and staffing. S/he will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing program aspects of the annual budget in conjunction with the CEO until a chief financial officer is required. S/he will ensure that all services and programs are in compliance with federal, state, and city regulations, certifications, and licensing requirements. Finally, the COO will assist the CEO in strategic and succession planning, identifying new markets, knowledge and talent management. Qualified candidates must be a US citizen and possess a DoD security clearance or the ability to obtain one within a year of being hired.
Duties and Responsibilites
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership, as well as stewardship of Humanproof by being actively involved in all programs and services.
- Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout the program and service areas, focusing on systems/process improvement, and promote regular and ongoing opportunities for all staff to provide feedback on program operations.
- Lead high performing teams to the next level by further developing and implementing recruitment, training, and retention strategies.
- Represent the company with external customer markets, including governmental, defense and homeland security, commercial, manufacturing, energy, transportation, healthcare, and other organizations.
- Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of Humanproof.
- Prepare and submit an annual operational budget to the CEO for review and approval, manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Ensure the continued financial viability of the company’s services and programs through sound fiscal management.
- Provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic planning processes with the CEO and staff.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Engineering, Marketing, or Psychology. MBA or other advanced degree preferred.
Skills and Experience
- At least 10 years of progressive responsibility, with a minimum of five years supervising seasoned staff conducting multiple programs across a broad range of markets.
- Senior management experience with Systems Engineering, Human Systems Integration, and government contracting preferred.
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, developing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence, engaging community partners, and partnering with a CEO and other key staff.
- Is capable of providing tangible evidence for improved results based on program measurement, evaluation, and performance metrics.
- Experience leading, inspiring, and motivating others to new levels of effectiveness and project impact.
- Proven computer skills, including expertise in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access.
- Demonstrates integrity and strives for excellence in her/his work.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to think “outside the box,” and willingness to do whatever’s necessary to meet customer expectations.
- Commitment to continuous improvement, collaborative teamwork, and ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- The ability to be a self-starter capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Is willing and capable of effectively articulating and championing the company’s mission, vision, and values to external and internal stakeholders.
- Willing to travel 50% of the time in support of on-site, multi-state projects and programs.
This is an outstanding opportunity to play a key leadership role with teams of highly-trained professionals, and partner with the CEO to position the company as a leader in its field. Humanproof offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental coverage, 401(k) with company match, and other benefits. Humanproof is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
About the Company
Humanproof is a Human Systems Integration company designed to turn the tables on traditional consulting and product development. Instead of building things and then thinking of refining them for human use, Humanproof creates a company around the human first, then builds. We are creating an engine for innovation, an idea factory, and a product and process improvement machine. By focusing our talent on human performance, psychology, safety, industrial design, and cognitive processes, we will generate ideas and processes that far exceed anything produced through traditional thinking. The company is dedicated to providing superior quality through continual improvement of products and services, and ensuring customer satisfaction by incorporating knowledge and application of technologies to meet identified needs – anytime-anywhere. We are looking for like-minded people who want to help us achieve our mission and vision by creating a world where everyone has opportunities to achieve their full potential.
Click here to submit a resume.