Human Factors Engineer – Air Traffic Control Specialist
The Human Factors Engineer (HFE) Air Traffic Control Specialist will be a key member of a Human Systems Integrations (HSI) team supporting technical operations relating to the FAA’s Next Generation (NextGen) Air Traffic Controller (ATC) efficiency and air/ground integration program. This program places strong emphasis on HFE in terms of integrated controller tools to support achievement of NextGen human-in-the-loop performance as the focal point for the delivery of air traffic services. Safety aspects are a critical component, since National Airspace Systems (NAS) safety metrics are directly linked to human error.
The successful candidate will ensure that automation and technology interface effectively with humans in the system, ensuring that targeted efficiency levels are achieved. This requires integrating and harmonizing various NextGen concepts into a workable solution that adds new capabilities, decision support tools, and automation to diverse NextGen workstations. Qualified candidates must be a US citizen and have a DoD security clearance or the ability to obtain one within a year of being hired. The job is contingent on acquisition of contract work.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include providing HFE program support to customers and team colleagues. Specific tasks include:
- Writing HSI/HFE Air traffic Control (ATC) standards, requirements, and plans.
- Conducting task analyses, with emphasis on ATC alarms and alerts.
- Conducting and utilizing research in automation relating to ATC operations and Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS).
- Assisting with flight deck engineering and design.
- Writing HSI test plans, conducting usability tests, and writing test reports.
- Utilizing decision support tools and automation systems, with an emphasis on integration, interactions, and system safety.
- Performing analyses to ensure that user requirements, sound HFE and safety practices are incorporated into system design.
- Planning and conducting program status and review meetings.
- Supporting HFE/HSI efforts during business development activities, including proposal generation, creation of marketing materials, and assistance in shaping HFE business strategy.
Bachelor’s degree in HFE, psychology, systems engineering, system safety, or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years hands-on experience in applying HFE and system safety to the design and evaluation of complex systems, including HFE program development, writing standards, HSI requirements development, conducting task analyses, and systematically collecting field data.
- Knowledge of flight deck engineering and interface design.
- Prior experience as a pilot or air traffic controller preferred.
- Experience with Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS).
- Working knowledge of decision support tools and automation systems, with an emphasis on integration, interactions, and system safety, including interference human factors risk assessment and adverse event recovery and system resiliency.
- Experience with alarms and alerts analysis, taxonomy, prioritization schema, and implementation guidelines.
- Web design skills, including expertise with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access, plus tooling experience with such software packages as Axure, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Balsamiq, Magetta, Visio or Visual Basic, iRise or Dojo, and usability testing experience using Morea, programming and prototyping.
- Ability to identify program points of contact, establish working relationships, develop data sharing and collaborative environments, champion complex and cross-organizational initiatives, and provide high caliber customer support by developing cooperative relationships with program managers, technical staff and other stakeholders.
- Strong oral, written communication and presentation skills, including experience in the development and coordination of status updates and program management reviews.
- Desire to support the development of new business from opportunity identification, proposal development, to contract acquisition.
- Ability to think “outside the box,” and willingness to do whatever’s necessary to meet customer expectations.
- Commitment to continuous Improvement, collaborative teamwork, and ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- The capacity to be a self-starter capable of working with minimal supervision.
About the Company
Humanproof is a Human Systems Integration company designed to turn the tables on traditional consulting and product development. Instead of building things and then thinking of refining them for human use, Humanproof creates a company around the human first, then builds. We are creating an engine for innovation, an idea factory, and a product and process improvement machine. By focusing our talent on human performance, psychology, safety, industrial design, and cognitive processes, we will generate ideas and processes that far exceed anything produced through traditional thinking. The company is dedicated to providing superior quality through continual improvement of products and services, and ensuring customer satisfaction by incorporating knowledge and application of technologies to meet identified needs—anytime-anywhere. We are looking for like-minded people who want to help us achieve our mission and vision by creating a world where everyone has opportunities to achieve their full potential.
Humanproof offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental coverage, 401(k) with company match, and other benefits. Humanproof is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Click here to submit a resume.